Dancer. Teacher. Writer. Motivational Speaker.
The Jhooming Nomad…
In the summer of 2019 I got rid of most of my wordly belongings, rented out my house and left the Surrey village that I had called home for 19 years – with plans to travel the world for three years.
When I tell people this, the overriding exclamation is: “Wow! Three years! Lucky you!”
But, the path to making this decision has not been easy.
My beautiful, kind husband Jeremy passed away in July 2016, and after the initial dark years of grief, which were paralysing in their intensity, I realised that I wanted to be happy again. (You can read our story in my Amazon bestselling memoir Always With You). I also realised that I could not go back to my old life because without Jeremy my old life was non-existent. I had to make a completely new life for myself – make new memories, in new places, with new people.
Although it wasn’t a decision I took lightly, once I took it, I felt a sense of freedom and excitement – as well as an innate knowledge that this was right for me.
So – who am I?
- I am Shalini.
- I am 44.
- I am a widow.
- I am a solo traveller.
- I am a writer, a dancer, a teacher.
- And, for the first time in my life, I have no fixed abode.
Quite simply – I have just set off for the biggest adventure of my life!
And what’s my motivation to do this?
- Following my devastating bereavement I feel this is the way to truly move forward with my life.
- I want to be happy. I believe that the purpose of life is happiness. And so, travel for me will be a journey of physical, mental and spiritual happiness.
- I want to make human connections. I believe that even in their transience, personal encounters can be truly magical.
- I want to live this one precious gift of life I have fully and in the best possible way.
After all this is what life is about! We fall, we rise; we fail, we learn; we cry, we laugh; we love, we grow; we live.
And as I travel I want to share my experiences with you. I will be blogging about everything and anything that touches me, moves me, makes me happy, makes me sad, makes an impression on me. It won’t always be beautiful – but it will always be true and authentic.
So do stick with me. Subscribe below so that my new blogposts will be directly delivered to your email inbox. I promise not to inundate you. But I do promise to take you on a journey that will be inspiring, informational and above all fun and joyful.
I hope you will Jhoom (Dance) with me around the world!
Much love and light
The Jhooming Nomad